Procrastination

2.24.2005

Who we are

I'm not sure about the Peter Jennings scandal. Untrue documents? Bad reporting? Truth in journalism? It all went over my head. I didn't watch Peter Jennings and I had no idea whether to root for him or against him. I just know that his voice annoyed me before I watched Jeopardy (note: in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh Jeopardy is on at 7 pm not 7:30, which is bad if you want to catch the Daily show rerun). Still, I felt bad for him.

Then, tonight I saw him on the Daily Show. He is doing a special on UFOs. He said he was a skeptic. He said the government has pushed people who claim to have seen UFOs away. Most likely because I was also comforting my sick mom on the phone, I couldn't really tell what side he was on ("I came in a skeptic, I come out a skeptic").

However, I couldn't help but think that if you were in a scandal before, no matter what you are reporting, does your next major project have to be on UFOs?

But, again, I don't know Peter Jennings. I don't even know if this is his next major project. (I apologize for my lack of research). Maybe thats just who he is - giving a mainstream voice to the craziness that most people push aside.

Then, I think to myself and to you fellow blog readers, did Peter Jennings always know who he wanted to be? Was he always the same? Did he reach his goal?

I guess I could ask this about anyone - MYSELF - but Peter Jennings was on my mind.

4 Comments:

  • Melissa, you always know about news before me I think. I haven't heard about this Peter Jennings thing.

    And you know, it's really funny, but as I was reading your blog, I thought to myself that I'd heard the same profile of M. Ward's new CD a while ago. But I haven't heard more than that.

    : ) Mike

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:02 AM  

  • oops, my pop culture fails me. Or, my problem with remember specifics (names, dates, etcs) is simply fantastic. It was dan rather with the scandal.

    By Blogger mjs, at 10:47 AM  

  • Two things: I think you shouldn't worry about your screen play being too cynical or dark or not entertaining. The main reason being, is that American audiences love cynacism and darkness/depression. They like to know someone else out there is worse off than they. For instance, if you think about it, overall Y Tu Mama, Tambien is an incredibly sad movie. There is nothing inherently "entertaining" in the movie, yet we all think it is incredible. You can think something is incredible without actually being entertained or without it being actually enjoyable. Misery is not enjoyable, yet we are all drawn to it like moths to the flame. Why do you think Garden State was so successful? It's not a happy movie. It's an incredibly sad movie. Zach killed his own mother. His friend steals his mother's pendant/jewel. His father hates him. He falls in love with a girl he has to leave. And sure in the end, he decides not to leave, his friend gives him the jewel back. But that was just the last 15 minutes of the film. The rest is heart wrentchingly sad.

    My point? Do not worry about an audience enjoying your screenplay. You shouldn't write it for the audience that you think exists. You should write it for the audience you want to exist. Make sense?

    2) I think the "came in a skeptic, came out a skeptic" comment meant that he doesn't necessarily believe in aliens, but something is amuck. Whether it be the government testing technology it claims does not exist, or just the mere covering up of something suspicious.

    (Kiren)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:19 PM  

  • Thank you, Kiren. Who am I kidding? Like most artists (Kurt Cobain stands out in my mind), I'm cliche - I find my best work in suffering. I just need to accept it. I think I will always know that but it was very helpful to be reminded.

    By Blogger mjs, at 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home