Procrastination

3.17.2006

St. Patrick's Day

I'm obviously not Irish (despite my dad's ex-red hair). Nor am I Catholic. I'm jewish (although, it's true, I once converted to Christianity). So, I guess technically St. Patrick's Day shouldn't really mean anything to me anyway. And it doesn't. But, for some reason, I toss into the same category as St. Valentine's Day and New Years Eve - it always comes with high expectations that'll likely be let down.

This time, though, it's okay to be single & you don't have to kiss the cutest person in the room (or your significant other, whichever strikes your fancy or is encouraged by your blood-alcohol level) as the ball drops...but you do have to go out and celebrate at the best freakin' party of the year (which is funny, b/c if St. Patty's Day had any self-esteem of its own, it would wait until like November or at least October to be the best party of the "year". March? Come now. The only party it competes with in March is those "Oscar's parties," held at banquets or something. I wouldn't know but I'm sure they're completely rockin' with invite-only, all-socialite guest list. (Wait, do i hear another competitor? law school prom? going once? going twice?).

Yet, we all know what proms mean for non-virgins and what Oscar's night means for Jake Gyllenhaal. One big let down.

Maybe i'm just jealous because I've never had that blow-my-mind-away St. Patty's Day bash where I've been wasted and screaming kiss-me-i'm-(at-least-wishing-I'm)-Irish. (so, if you know of any...or if you wanna tell me your stories so that I can live vicariously through you...i'm open).

in reality, i'm just more of a low-key sipping-beer-(er, whiskey and diet coke)-type girl. plus, i live in a state that still has Quaker liquor laws.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home