Procrastination

3.08.2006

Spring Break on a Lil' Island

So, I was supposed to go to Haiti for spring break. Or, er, I had the chance to go to Haiti to do a fact-finding delegation researching the independence of the judiciary. The four law students who actually did go got to meet with the people at the Haiti office of the place where I intern (in America, its the Institute of Justice and Democracy in Haiti...in Haiti its the Bureau des Avocats Internationaux), two judges (Fleury and Brédy Fabien). That was just on Tuesday. Today (Wednesday) they are going to meet with the former director of the Ecole de la Magistrature, Mr. Jean-Claude and Mr. Doyen of the First Instance Tribunal Roc Cadet. Thursday they wanted to try (to pretend to be missionaries, complete with Bibles and crosses) to get into the prison to see some political prisoners. On Friday they are planning to meet with Mrs. Thériault of OAS and Judge Perez Paul (ANAMA). Jealous? No, not at all. I love NOT job searching like I was supposed to...and doing...um, absolutely nothing except hanging out with my lil' sis.

Wait, I should revise my "doing nothing."

I *have* visited a lil' island. After much ridicule of the people who are addicted to the show, I decided to start watching LOST. I'll tell you, for as much as I hate the show, I can't stop freakin' watching it. I love the characters' background stories more than the actual footage on the island (which would be freakin' beautiful if it wasn't super scary).

I will post more about the show later (sans spoilers for those who have held out this long...trust me, you'll come around sooner or later). But, my first criticism about the show is that all female characters on the show are manipulative in some way or another.

Anyway, I've also tried to write my second story for my creative writing class. I don't like it as much as I did when I first started and right now its 11 pages long (and probably going to be 2 or 3 more) and I like writing *short* stories (5-7 pages)! Damn me for deciding to write about the army.

I've also received an e-mail recently from a TA student. Ugh, I should read the brief before we start school again because I know that I am going to get a new copyright assignment and I'm gonna have to revise this story.

Lastly, I started writing an Op-Ed about Haiti (that I hope to get published in the Post-Gazette). *My* contribution to the school's trip to Haiti since I couldn't be there. (Oh wait, I'm also researching websites for the other four law students to publish their fact-finding papers when they return).

Gosh, I should get back to work (or go out to dinner with my family, who I've been neglecting since I've been home).

3 Comments:

  • Yes! Lost is the best thing ever. You'll soon discover that the men are just as manipulating as the women. It's an equal opportunity show. Also, it'll get less scary and more intriguing on the island as the show progresses. And for the record, it's so much better watching on DVD or iTunes than on TV. Commercials suck ass.

    I got your CD, I really dig it. and I didn't hate your last CD. I just really dislike Bruce Springsteen's version of "Hungry Heart." You do know that Springsteen's is not the original right? So my hatred of that song might have been generalized to your enitre CD. It shouldn't have been.

    I'm going to catch up on CD reviews soon. I need to. There's some good ones. I wish I had unlimited money to buy music and CDs.

    By Blogger Kiren, at 2:02 AM  

  • i disagree but i realize i'm in the minority. i still think Wednesdays 9 pm are reserved for Veronica Mars.

    By Blogger mjs, at 1:08 PM  

  • Female characters being manipulative? At least there's some shred of reality on the show.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home