Procrastination

4.14.2006

A new last name Fetish



If you read my archives, you will see my listing of my favorite Murdochs. It's time for a new last name. And that last name is Buckley.

Top 3:

1. Jeff Buckley - Singer, Songwriter. Because "Grace" is one of the top albums of all times (and i don't care if you think I'm cliche...b/c sometimes cliche is cliche for a damn good reason). And Grace is pretty much "best album" by every definition in my book: consistency (how many good songs are on it? My personal favorites "The Last Goodbye" and "Lover, You Should've Come Over"), timelessness (how often can you listen to it? & does it stand the test of time), voice, etc. And who doesn't like a suicide/drowning mystery?

2. William F. Buckley - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. My list always has to include conservatives. (Bad habit of mine, I know this). So why not start with this one? Without him, who else would I have to ridicule? He founded the National Review. If you ever decide to read one of the "awesome" articles entitled "Moving Out: The Stable Poverty of New Orleans Has Been Shaken Up, and that's Good" by Abigail Thernstrom about Katrina's effect, you'll surely note the first sentence.
Civil-rights groups are griping (how unusual).
But, back to Mr. Buckley's own work. He also wrote that book "God and Man at Yale: The Superstitions of Academic Freedom" about how conservative college students feel disenfranchised. I mean, I feel him. I'm all about "enfranchising" people (is that a word?) I just wonder why it's okay to get a conservative bias in high school, which has a standardized curriculum and mandatory attendence laws. (See Buckley's counterparts: Loewen or Zinn).

But William F Buckley's most important contribution to this world is his son, Christopher.

3. Christopher Buckley. Political satirist, even if he is on "the other side" like his father. He is freakin' funny. Or, at least, his book is. Wait...er...since I didn't actually read it...I should say the movie adaptation is. (But we all know the book's always better than the movie anyway). "Thank You For Smoking" is one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. And smart funny. So I guess not "funny" but clever, witty...all in all, LOL material. It's a shame that there were only like 10 people in the theater with us (i hope its b/c everyone saw it 4-07-06...opening night in Pittsburgh).

Can you go see it? And chat with me about it!

6 Comments:

  • Please never compare an idiot, communist, hatemonger like Howard Zinn with a great, enlighted philospher like WFB. Also, there is a right-wing bias in high schools only if you are comparing them to North Korean high schools.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:06 PM  

  • k, if you want me to publish your comments. (as much as i love your creative names & urls) you should reveal yourself. the fact that you hide behind makes you (and your conservative propaganda less credible).

    If I had a screen shot of you, there would be a "Pussy" caption, underneath your mug, for sure.

    By Blogger mjs, at 3:23 PM  

  • er...

    *the fact that you hide behind your pseudonyms makes you...

    By Blogger mjs, at 3:27 PM  

  • mjs, you are a coward (and typical, paranoid left-wing radical) for insinuating that Mr. Rection is anything less than a real, live human being. For shame!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 PM  

  • I am dissappointed by your suppression of free speech on the comments section of this blog. However, I can't say I am suprised. I wish I could attach a Mohammed cartoon here!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:38 PM  

  • Punditry! I love it! It's like I'm watching Crossfire! Or Hannity and Colmes.

    By Blogger Kiren, at 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home