Procrastination

7.09.2006

Quick List #2 (but now #1 b/c I deleted Quick List #1)

gosh, bar studying is really taking a toll on my blogging.

a few things:

1) I think that Architecture in Helsinki & the Avalanches are better than the Go! Team. Don't get me wrong, the Go! Team is great live but they sounded so pretentious on "Morning Becomes Eclectic" a few weeks back (minus five points).

2) Not to take advantage of the fact that I can become "super famous" just by linking to a Washington Post article (I found out about this after I linked directly to an article about the death penalty with no commentary and someone came to my un-original post - whoa! my blog is linked on the Washington Post - thanks Technorati!).

But, did ya'll read the infamous "Clash of the Comics Titans" article a few weeks back

Marvel or DC?

Back when it mattered, you used to be certain. You would ally yourself and endlessly argue the merits in comic-book stores or at a convention at the airport Ramada. DC Comics, led by Superman, was for people who adored the fantasy, the Ubermensch triumphant. These readers loved skyscrapers and archvillains and sidekicks, billowing flags, unerring ethical strength.

Marvel, led by Spider-Man, was a place for the smart but troubled reader, the deeply weird. They loved the night, the underground, accidents in the lab. All that dialogue, so many thought balloons! The heroes always on some emotional ledge, and the hubris of it all -- a grittiness that came with saving the world.

DC was about younger kids in back yards, wearing bath towel capes, leaping from treehouses.

Marvel was about older kids in basements, possibly stoned, deconstructing Thor.

DC invented places to go -- Metropolis, Gotham City, Paradise Island.

In the Marvel universe, New York is New York, and it's nothing but trouble.

DC: It was always the Fourth of July.

Marvel: It was always Halloween.

DC: Comic books are a wonderful escape.

Marvel: Comic books are a dark refuge.


Or...

To read either company's comic books now -- the complicated story lines, the endless relaunchings of old characters -- is to enter a world that can still be divided into Marvel people and DC people: A DC comic is still for the more orthodox, Marvel is still for self-styled rebels.

DC hires fantastic writers and artists but is cautious about its canon and where they take the characters. (The company's more provocative work can be found under its other imprints, such as the Vertigo brand.)

Marvel, it seems, will always possess the allure of the cool.

DC feels very Windows. Marvel feels very Mac.


**stomp stomp!** I wanna be a Mac - like the dude in the commercials! What does it mean if I read Vertigo? Am I a superwannabe? B/c I am plain ol' vanilla trying to be provocative?

3) I'm a fan of the artists playlists on the iTunes music store. I can be more judgmental of people I don't know based solely on superficial things such as their (around) 12 song playlist.

okay that's all for now. sorry i'm not so creative. i really need help in real property and criminal law. i'll trade - i'll tutor someone in contracts & con law if someone can bang into my head property and crim!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home